The Archeological Museum of Chania is located in the old town center, at Chalidon Street and accommodates the archeological collection of the whole municipality of Chania. Findings from the larger area of the city are exhibited here, helping the guest reap a clear image of the history of the Western Crete: Ceramics, lapidary, seal engraving, sculpturing, metalwork, golden jewelry and coins, are presented in a chronological order in the display windows of the museum.
The museum is open every day, except from Mondays, from 08:30 until 15.00.
Address: 21 Chalidon street Tel: 28210-90334
THE FOLKLORE MUSEUM
The Folklore museum is a private museum with its entrance located in the backyard of the Catholic Church. It includes a rich collection of artifacts of farming and domestic use, furniture, music instruments, decorative objects and textiles.
You can visit if daily 9.00-15.00 and 18.00-21.00.
Address: 46B Chalidon Street Tel: 28210-90816
The Nautical Museum of Crete is located on the Northeast part of the old Venetian harbor, just at the entrance of the fort Firkas. It includes models of ships, various nautical instruments and devices, such as barometers, weather instruments, magnetic compasses, torpedo firing trays, etc. Also includes, paintings, portraits and original historic photos, as the raising of the flag during the Union of Crete with Greece that took place December 1, 1913, etc.
The museum is open daily 08:30-14:00.
Address: Akti Koundourioti, Venetian Harbour Tel: 28210.91.875
BYZANTINE AND POST BYZANTINE COLLECTION OF CHANIA- SAN SALVATORE TEMPLE
Built on the west side of the fort, beside a bastion that carries the same name, the temple, houses rich archeological material that has been collected from excavations throughout the whole municipality and mostly from donations of local people.
The museum is open daily 08:00-15:00
Address: 82 Theotokopoulou street Tel: 28210 96046
THE WAR MUSEUM
The War Museum is situated beside the Municipal Gardens in the center of the city. The building was originally an Italian army quarter and was built in 1870, by the Italian Architect Macuzo.
The museum’s mission is the collection, safekeeping, conservation and the display of the war objects mostly of the period from 1821 until 1940, that stresses out the significant contribution of the Cretans to all the wars.
The museum is open daily, except Sunday and Monday, 09.00 – 13.00
Address: 100 Tzanakaki street Tel: 28210 44156